Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
The coconut flour used to make these cakes gives them a gooey consistency and a delicious flavour. Use very dark, good quality cocoa powder, and peppermint paste in the icing for a knock out dessert. Definitely worth a try. Makes 9 large or 12 small cakes.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 100g coconut flour (less is needed than with wheat flour as the coconut flour is very absorbent.)
- 240 ml plant milk of your choice (coconut or almond would be good).
- 50g cocoa power
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2tbsp date syrup or 50g dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
MINT BUTTERCREAM ICING:
- 112g vegan butter (try Vitalite)
- tbsp cocoa powder
- 375g icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a cupcake tray with cupcake cases. Measure out the dry cupcake ingredients and combine in a large bowl.
Add the milk, vanilla extract, olive oil and vinegar to the bowl and whisk together.
Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake liners, using all the batter between the 12 cupcakes.
Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes. They’re ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
While the cupcakes are baking make your icing by mixing the vegan butter, sugar, milk, cocoa powder and peppermint extract.
When the cupcakes are ready, move to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before icing.
Recipe based on Loving It Vegan at www.lovingitvegan.com